Tuesday, October 3, 2023

My world of portraits

The general public may be confused as to what is the world of portraits.

In history, kings and other VIPs were subjects for portraits. There were no technology in earlier days. The king or the VIP had to sit in front of the artist and the artist will draw their portraits. Usually oil painting was used. These portraits cost a lot. In millions.

But today is a modern world. There are apps for making sketching outlines easy. I use DaVinci Eye app to draw outlines. After lightly drawing the outlines, I use either Mont Marte skin colored pencils or Brustro skin tone pencils or Faber Castell Polychromos pencils.

What paper do I use to draw portraits? I have used three types of papers. Thick white paper, Brustro Grey toned paper and Brustro Ochre tanned paper. If I use Brustro Ochre tanned paper the amount of work needed is slightly reduced as most of the skin tones are Ochre colored. Brustro Grey toned is better for monochrome portraits; though not necessarily. 

Why use only colored pencils? Why not water colors? Why not oil? Why not acrylic? This is because I have a technique which I named cosine hatching. This technique can be used with colored pencils only.

What are the drawbacks of my portraits? I am self taught artist. I can handle only ambient lit faces. I cannot handle faces with lot of lights and having shadows.

Why draw portraits? I want to be self sufficient and want to have an earning capability. I plan to draw "ambient lit selfies" of customers in paper with colored pencils and charge 1000 rupees for that. This business idea is a last resort idea and will indulge only when things really get worse like post-pandemic, post-war, post job loss etc. 

If you have any more queries, you may ask them in the comments section. I shall be happy to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment